April K
South House
Transportation Engineering
EQ

Monday, May 9, 2011

2 Hour Presentation Draft

Sponge Activity: For my sponge activity I plan to ask if any one knows what a civil engineer is. I also plan to ask if any one know what a transportation and traffic engineer are. From there I plan to give to describe what all the fields of engineering are.

Introduction: What is most important to becoming a successful traffic engineer?
What is most important: What is the best thing to do if you are trying to get into the field of traffic engineering
successful: My definition of a successful traffic engineer is one that is certified and is working for a traffic engineering company
Traffic engineer: An engineer that specializes in the design and operations of any traffic system
The reason why I chose this senior project is because I want to pursue a career in Civil Engineering and I wanted to get a better understanding of what the career field was about. My plan for the day is to broaden people's knowledge of Traffic Engineering and teach all the steps needed to become successful.


Foundation: Now that you know what traffic engineering is, let me start to tell you what are the requirements for them to get a job and also their salary. From there I will go to telling you what is needed for them to be successful and my best answer to my essential question.


Answer 1: Getting a Bachelor's degree in civil engineering.
I plan to have the kids do this work sheet and discuss with me what they observed and relate how engineers have to know math and science to successfully do a project like this.
http://www.teachengineering.org/collection/csm_/activities/csm_fastracks/csm_improving_west_corridor_sg.pdf

Answer 2: Case studies
Give the students a scenario of an engineering project gone wrong. Discuss what happened, then say how the knowledge can help an engineer with a future project.

Answer 3: Get an internship
...... need help finding an activity for this one....

Conclusion
My best answer is getting an internship because on an internship is where engineers get most of their experience and they are able to net work with people who in the future will help them get jobs. My three most important sources were Irene Sarrano, Saul Martinez, and the book, Standard Handbook for Civil Engineers because its where I did most of my service learning and it helped me know all branches of Civil Engineering and not just one. The internships were in two different cities and because the cities were different, how they do traffic engineering was also different. I was able to to get exposed to all types of Traffic Engineering and not just one. My product for this whole project is that I know exactly what I need to do to follow my dreams to become a Civil Engineer. I feel that the only thing I really need to do is graduate from college and then I'll have my dream job. Thanks to this project I have accomplished every part of my answers to my essential question, but go to college. I feel that is the only thing holding me back from working for an engineering company.

1 comment:

  1. I think you mean "finding employment" as a...

    1. That's a long worksheet. I suppose you are going to specifically discuss with them what they will need to learn/classes they will take. I'm not sure about how they show you they understand this by doing the worksheet which will take a long time. Maybe they tell you what skills they see needed in the worksheet? Remember that students should demonstrate use of knowledge you taught.

    2. The case studies sound cool. Again, what do case studies do for a person that you can teach the students and they can demonstrate knowledge of? I would phrase the answer as "understanding of case studies" You'll really need to include more detail on what you will specifically teach, and how students will demonstrate.

    3. What are the things a person will do/learn in an internship to help them reach the goal. The activity should fit in with those skills. More detail is definitely needed.

    Explain who your human sources are and why they are good sources.

    So, you have career direction. What is your evidence of this?

    ReplyDelete